Friday, May 05, 2006

The TV.

I am ashamed to admit how much TV I watch. Suffice to say, I know it's too much.
The twins and I pretty much 100% live in our "great room" - the open kitchen/family room. And the TV is always on.
I realized it was too much today when I thought to myself - "I've seen far too much of Tom Cruise this week." Seriously, I've seen him on late TV, on early morning talk shows, I've seen him on all the entertainment shows - and this morning, I saw a preview for Ellen for next week saying he'd be on. I think I've seen every interview he's done.
I guess I don't always HAVE to have the tv on, but really, it's my sanity I guess these days. When I try to pick up a book, Peyton will bring me about 15 of her books to read. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE reading to her and in fact, she's been read to so much that I think she should start reading her books to me. If I turn off the TV and turn on the stereo to listen to something easy-listening (Enya, Norah Jones, Sarah) Peyton complains and asks (NEEDS) me to put on her Sharon, Lois and Bram. Again, I don't mind this, but I can only take so much of "Little Rabbit Foo Foo!" and the never ending "dance mommy! dance!!" But when the TV is on and programmed to something she has no interest in, she will play with her blocks or Little People, or somehow else occupy herself. So it's MY time, I guess.
But how is it that you can have 500 + channels, and still find nothing to watch?? Throughout the day, I am tuned into the talk shows, or news programs. My touch with the outside world, I guess. In the evening, when I would actually LIKE to watch TV, I can't because there's too much going on (and typically a baby is fussing.) And OVERNIGHT, well the early morning feeds are all right because of timeshifting - I can still get the west channels late night shows. But around 4AM? Golden Girls or Infomercials. Or.....well, I'll share a secret with you.
WHEN these little girlies start sleeping through the night, there will be an open invite to this house to everyone and anyone, and I am going to Kick Some Ass at POKER! Yup, bring lots of money, because I've watched enough champion poker games to know all the tricks and strategies. I swear, you can catch a game of poker on the game network at any time throughout the night. I'm so addicted, I'll sometimes stay up a little later than I need to, watching just one more hand (or two.) Yeah, watch out. I'm going to be great, and I need the cash - ha.
Anyway, I know I've said it before - thank GOD these girls were born in the spring, because the nice weather means we can spend a lot of time outside, away from the draw of the television.
And back on the topic of Tom Cruise - what is with this guy? Really now, are he and Kate the first to ever have a child? Not that going to a movie is an option for me right now, but if I could, you'd better believe I wouldn't be seeing his MI3. I just can't take him seriously as an actor anymore, because I can't stand his public persona. Like really, when did he turn into such a nutjob? I wont be watching that episode of Ellen next week. I could recite what he'd say about his new baby girl (and Katie) anyway - it seems so scripted at this point. Oh my, did you hear that he set up a seminar for all the women in his life (mom, sisters, daughter) about the birth and raising of a child? You know, so they could practise such things as changing diapers and what not. Ugh. (yes - too.much.tv.)

Thank goodness the weekend is here. Paul is fantastic about getting up throughout the night to lend a hand when the twins both wake up at the same time, but MAN do I feel guilt about it. Like, I know they're his children too, and they're waking up hungry and definitely need to be tended to right away, but I respect the fact that Paul's got to work Monday to Friday so I will typically try my absolute best to keep him in bed as much as possible. Usually ONE feed, the twins will be off schedule by about 30 mins, so I can do that on my own, but that's about as good as it gets. On the weekends, however I feel no guilt. :) And he's up about as much as I am. So of course, we'll pass the feeding time by watching a movie (rogers on demand ROCKS) - the company and entertainment makes the midnight and early morning feeds not-so-bad.

Well, 5-4 for the good guys with 4 minutes left. Off I go to watch more tv... But not before posting a couple of shots. :)

No comments: